Friday, November 16, 2007

Gratitude #2

Marlee: "I'm glad for cold water to drink". And no, she wasn't even drinking at the time. Impressive?!

Me: I've gone a week without treats. It's something new I'm trying. I'm allowed 2 days a week to "cheat", and call those beautiful days "treat day". I've been looking forward to today, so I can make yummy Baked Caramel Corn. YUM. So, I suppose you can say that today I am grateful for 2 things:
1. Teat Day, and
2. BAKED CARAMEL CORN!! Here's the recipe, trust me, you'll love it. . .

1/2 C. butter
2 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
5 Quarts popped popcorn
(or 3 bags of microwavable popcorn)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Foil line and spray/grease a large roasting pan (I use my big turkey one). Pop popcorn and pick out kernels that didn't pop. (This is a bit tedious, but you don't want to bite down on one). Place popcorn in lined roasting pan. In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once at a rolling boil, boil 4 minutes WITHOUT stirring. Remove from heat, and quickly add vanilla and soda (this will cause the mixture to foam - perfectly normal - it's what you want to have happen). Pour over popcorn, and stir to coat evenly. Bake 45 min to 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. ENJOY!!

1 comment:

Lanea Strickland said...

Hi Jen..:D
Can you please email me your pancake recipe? They look very yummy!!